Doctor of Design Admissions
The Doctor of Design degree focuses on applied design research relevant to professional practice in design. We seek applicants who are self-directed, focused, and resilient—capable of independent inquiry and critical thinking in design-related challenges. Strong applicants will show a depth of experience and a record of expertise in the design enterprise.
Successful applicants must provide:
- A short statement of purpose for graduate study (not to exceed 400 words or 1-2 pages overall) will convince the reader that the applicant is motivated and prepared.
- The capacity to articulate a clear topic with specific research questions for a clear and compelling design investigation (statement not to exceed 750 words or 2-3 pages overall).
- A demonstrated mastery over their respective practices through the submission of a digital portfolio. The portfolio should highlight relevant professional experience and/or current accomplishments in a design firm or studio, public or private museum, or governmental agency involved in design/planning.
Applicants must hold a Master’s degree and at least one degree from an accredited design, fine arts, or equivalent program. Applicants submit transcripts of previous academic work with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (undergraduate and graduate studies) along with standardized graduate test scores such as the GRE* (Graduate Record Exam), and international students further provide TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Undergrad and graduate degree transcripts (min 3.0 GPA)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)*
- TOEFL or IELTS**
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Statement of purpose
- Description of a proposed topic with research questions
- Digital portfolio of creative work and/or professional practice activities
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (at least one from the applicant’s current employer)
- Advanced enrollment deposit***
* Contact Program Director for waiving considerations and options.
** TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for international students only. If you have received a degree from an accredited university where English is the primary language of instruction, this requirement may be waived.
***There will be a increase to the Graduate School enrollment deposit starting for Fall 2022 applicants to all Graduate programs. The new required amount will be $500, which will also include a $16 credit card processing fee. Please note that this amount is subject to change in future admission cycles.