The NC State University Design Lab for K-12 Education is seeking talented designers to join our teaching staff for Design Camp 2019! Instructors will develop and teach one or more studio sessions over the course of the summer for groups of middle school or high school students. Instructors embody the teaching philosophy of the College of Design and it’s departments. Teaching at Design Camp is a great way to gain paid teaching experience in a creative and fun-filled environment while helping to prepare the next generation of designers.
About the Position
• Training on pedagogy, project development, classroom management, adolescent development, camper safety, and cultural awareness as well as a mini-practicum experience is provided and required for new hires.
• A Teaching Assistant (TA) is provided for studio preparation and teaching assistance.
• Teaching multiple weeks of camp strongly preferred. Bonuses provided for those working the full summer.
• Work schedules vary by camp. A typical work day is 8:30am-5:30pm.
• Lunch is provided during camp weeks.
• Possible co-teaching arrangements may be made for graduate students.
• Competitive compensation, $1000 – $1200 per week, contingent upon experience.
• College of Design graduate students, faculty and alumni, and design professionals are eligible to apply
• Some teaching experience or experience working with middle school or high school
• Some teaching experience or experience working with middle school or high school students preferred
• Must be able to lift and carry 10-30 lbs, general physical mobility may be required
• All candidates chosen for staff positions at Design Camp are required to pass a criminal background check and provide 3 professional references
The NC State University Design Lab for K-12 Education is seeking two experienced former staff to serve as staff leads for Design Camp 2019, the position in past years known as “Co-Coordinators”. The Lead Staff will head up the Design Camp student staff (Counselors and TA’s) and work directly with Studio Instructors and Design Lab staff to ensure a successful camp experience. Lead Staff hold a high level of responsibility and authority and are involved with all the daily logistics at Design Camp.
Lead Staff Work Involves
• Assisting with Design Camp Planning
• Staff Recruitment and Training
• General Administrative Tasks
• Residential and Day Camp Supervision and Coordination
• Leadership of Camp Activities
• Leadership of Student Staff (Counselors and TA’s)
• Materials Management
• Safety Management
• Camp Organization
• Season Wrap-Up
• 2+ summer(s) working with youth in summer camp environment preferred (at least one session of working at Design Camp required; Both Design Camp day and residential camp experience preferred)
• NC State College of Design student or alumni
• Leadership experience, strong work ethic, attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to handle high levels of responsibility
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Must have A LOT of energy and a positive attitude!
• Valid drivers license and access to their own vehicle