Experience Design Around the World
In today’s design practice, global awareness is critical, and because of this, the College of Design requires our undergraduate students to spend a semester abroad. International study challenges a designer to envision a wider range of design options and gain insight into biases and preconceptions that hamper the creative process. The international experience requirement is intended to build needed global awareness with regard to the practice of their design discipline, expose students to a diversity of cultures and environments, and develop their ability to observe, perceive, and reflect on design as an expression of both environment and culture.
Summer 2019 Program Offerings for Design
- Website: Design and Social Innovation
- Dates: May 15 – June 18, 2019
- Location: Various locations throughout Greece including Argostoli, Kefalonia and Thessaloniki, and Macedonia
- Download the program details here [PDF]
- Keep track of the student experience here
- Website: Sustainable Design
- Dates: June 22 – July 29, 2019
- Location: Santiago, Chile
- This interdisciplinary program in Chile provides a study abroad opportunity in a country that offers diverse, cutting-edge design and art developments in a secure environment as one of South America’s most stable and prosperous nations. Additionally, to gain a broader cultural understanding of the region, students will go on excursions to Valparaiso and an optional field trip to Buenos Aires in Argentina or San Pedro de Atacama in northern Chile.
- For additional information, contact Hernán Marchant, the program director