Andrew Fox, FASLA, PLA
Professor of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning and University Faculty Scholar; Co-Director, NC State Coastal Dynamics Design Lab
Affiliate Faculty, NCSU College of Natural Resources + Center for Geospatial Analytics
Faculty Affiliate, Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center
Andrew “Andy” Fox is a Professor, University Faculty Scholar, NCSU Center for Geospatial Analytics Faculty Fellow, and NCSU Community Engaged Faculty Fellow. He is also a licensed landscape architect and a founding co-director of the Coastal Dynamics Design Lab (established 2013), an interdisciplinary research and design initiative that addresses critical ecological and community development challenges in coastal regions and shoreline communities. Lastly, Professor Fox was the founding faculty member of the NC State Landscape Architecture Design+Build Program, which he directed from its inception in 2010 until 2017.
Professor Fox specializes in the development and management of high-performing public landscapes, with expertise in natural infrastructure, resiliency planning, community design, and land/water conservation assessment. The programs and projects developed by Professor Fox have been published and presented domestically and internationally, and include a research and sponsored project portfolio totaling more than $2.5M. Prior to his appointment at NC State, he held a tenure-track faculty position at the University of Georgia College of Environment + Design. In total, Professor Fox’s impacts on the field have been recognized by 50+ awards spanning the realms of teaching, research, design, and engagement.
Master of Landscape Architecture Louisiana State University 2001
Bachelor of General Studies University of Michigan 1995
Area(s) of Expertise
Community Resilience Planning and Design, Hazard Recovery and Mitigation, Green Infrastructure + Low Impact Development, High Performance Landscapes, Natural Resource Conservation, Landscape Construction
Fox, Andrew. (2020) “North Carolina State University landscape architecture Design+Build Studio”, in Design/Build in Landscape Architecture; An Integrated Academic/Practice Model, pgs. 278-296. Daniel Winterbottom, New York, NY: Routledge.
Naylor, Lindsey, Virginia Fall and Andrew Fox. (2020) “The power of place in disaster recovery: Heritage-based practice in the post-Matthew landscape of Princeville, North Carolina.” Parks Stewardship Forum, volume 36/1: 128-136.
Fox, Andrew and David Hill. (2018) Decimated by Hurricanes, Rural America Needs Our Help, The New York Times, online and print (Sunday Edition, p. 10, Oct. 14).
Fox, Andrew, Kofi Boone, Virginia Fall, and Lindsey Naylor. (2018) “Troubled Waters: A Flood-Ravaged Town in Danger of Losing Its Nationally Significant History.” Landslide® 2018: Grounds for Democracy, The Cultural Landscape Foundation: Washington, DC.
Walters, Adam and Andrew Fox. (2018) “Supporting Informed Coastal Landscapes: An Assessment of Preferences in Carolina Tidal Creek Communities.” Landscape Research Record No. 7: 200-210.
Fox, Andrew, Sadie Walters, and Peggy Huang. (2018) “North Carolina Museum of Art.” Landscape Performance Series: Case Study Briefs. Washington, DC: Landscape Architecture Foundation. Online.
Fox, Andrew, Sadie Walters, and Peggy Huang. (2018) “North Carolina Botanical Garden.” Landscape Performance Series: Case Study Briefs. Washington, DC: Landscape Architecture Foundation. Online.
Fox, Andrew and David Hill. (2017) “Reimagining Community Resilience: The Coastal Dynamics Design Lab.” Carolina Planning Journal, Volume 42: 110-117.
Winterbottom, Daniel, Julie Stevens, and Andrew Fox. (2016) “Design-Build on the Frontlines: Most Important Questions.” In Bridging the Gap: Proceedings of the ECLAS Conference, pgs. 227-231. European Council of Landscape Architecture Schools, Rapperswil: Switzerland.
Queen, Sara, David Hill, and Andrew Fox. (2016) “Filling the Voids: A Framework for Addressing Patterns of Urban Vacancy.” Proceedings of the ACSA Fall Conference: Between the Autonomous and Contingent Object, Syracuse: NY.
Fox, Andrew and David Hill. (2014) “Adaptive Infrastructures: Developing Multidisciplinary Courses to Design Resilient Coastal Communities.” Proceedings of the CELA Annual Convention, Baltimore: MD.
Fox, Andrew, Sadie Walters, and Peggy Huang. (2016) “Charlotte Brody Discovery Garden.” Landscape Performance Series: Case Study Briefs. Washington, DC: Landscape Architecture Foundation. Online.
Fox, Andrew and Jim Cooper. (2015) “Suburban Street Stormwater Retrofitting: An Introduction for Improving Residential Rights-of-Way.” American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) Landscape Technical Information Series (LATIS), ASLA: Washington, DC.
Cizek, Adrienne and Andrew Fox. (2015) “Stormwater Nature Pockets: A case for using green infrastructure to create engaging childhood spaces.” Journal of Green Building 10(3): 14-27.
Fox, Andrew. (2013) “Grounds for Change: Maximizing the Potential of Campus Landscapes through Strategic Partnerships and Community Design.” The International Journal of the Constructed Environment 3(2): 199-217.
Fox, Andrew. (2008) “Integrated Designs Enrich Public Landscapes,” Stormwater: The Journal for Surface Water Quality Professionals. Online.
Honors and Awards
- 2020 ASLA National Honor Award in Analysis & Planning: Lumberton Community Floodprint: Strategies for Repurposing Vulnerable Landscapes After Disaster
- 2020 NCASLA Award of Excellence in Research: Twin Creeks Conservation Purpose + Public Benefit Study
- 2020 NCASLA Honor Award in Analysis & Planning: Sycamore Creek Site Analysis and Planning Study
- 2020 NCASLA Honor Award in Communications: North Carolina Coastal Planting Templates
- 2019 Inductee: ASLA Council of Fellows
- 2019 ASLA Southeast Regional Conference (SERC) Award of Excellence in Analysis & Planning: Lumberton Floodprint: Strategies for Repurposing Vulnerable Landscapes After Disaster
- 2019 ASLA SERC Honor Award in Research: Urban Water Rx: Prescribing Conservation through the Measurement of Two Urban Reservoirs
- 2019 ASLA SERC Merit Award in Analysis & Planning: Greater Princeville: Design Strategies to Restore and Celebrate America’s Oldest Black Town
- 2018 ASLA National Honor Award in Communications: Homeplace: A Conversation Guide for Six Communities, Rebuilding after Hurricane Matthew
- 2018 NCASLA President’s Council Award
- 2018 Virginia Design Medalist
- 2018 NCASLA Communications Award of Excellence: Homeplace: A Conversation Guide for Six Communities, Rebuilding after Hurricane Matthew
- 2018 NCASLA Research Honor Award: North Carolina Tidal Creeks Study
- 2017 NC State University Center for Geospatial Analytics Faculty Fellow
- 2016 Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA) Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2016 NCASLA Research Merit Award: Landscape Architecture Foundation Case Study Investigation Program
- 2015 Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF) Case Study Investigation Research Fellow
- 2015 NCASLA Award of Excellence in Analysis & Planning: Shedding [b]Light – New Orleans
- 2014 Inductee: NCSU Community Engaged Faculty Fellows
- 2014 Inductee: NCSU Academy of Outstanding Teachers
- 2014 NCSU Alumni Association Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2014 NCSU Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2014 NCSU College of Design Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2014 NCSU Opal Mann Green Engagement and Scholarship Award
- 2012 NCSU University Faculty Scholar
- 2012 NCSU Outstanding Extension Service Award
- 2012 Inductee: NCSU Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension
- 2011 Earthwise Award for Outstanding Achievement in Environmental Sustainability on Campus