This is a one-year professional degree program ONLY for those students who have earned a four-year undergraduate degree in Architecture (from NC State or another program within a NAAB accredited institution). Admission requirements include prerequisite courses which must be included in the applicant’s undergraduate program. A transcript review will identify any prerequisite deficiencies. If accepted to the program, the applicant will be advised regarding how to comply with the prerequisite requirements.
How to Apply:
- Complete this Application form online (B.Arch. Application form).
- Submit application fee, official transcript(s), and letters of reference to the School of Architecture (see address below).
- Complete the North Carolina Residence Determination for Tuition Purpose (For NC residents ONLY). You will receive a Residency Certification Number (RCN) that you will need to include on the application.
The School of Architecture requires a non-refundable application fee of $75 via check or money order only. Cash will NOT be accepted. Please make the check payable to NC State University and send the check or a money order to the address below, or deliver a check to the College of Design Student Services Office in Brooks Hall.
Provide an official (sealed) transcript from each college and university previously attended. This requirement is waived for students currently enrolled in NC State’s BEDA Program.
Three Letters of Reference
Provide references from at least three people who know your academic record and potential for graduate study. Download the recommendation form (pdf) and send it to the School of Architecture. This requirement is waived for students currently enrolled in NC State’s BEDA Program.
Applicants are REQUIRED to use Google Forms to submit a portfolio for review. From the Google Form, you can upload still images, Word documents, and digital files.
A few specific suggestions for you to keep in mind as you assemble your portfolio:
- It is useful to include some information regarding the context in which a work was produced, particularly whether it was done in response to a class assignment, a job-related task, or by your own initiative. It is also good to include the dates of execution as well as the size, materials, and media. If a project was done by a group of persons or in the context of a professional office, please be specific as to the exact nature of your personal involvement and contribution.
- You should give special attention to the form and craft of your submission. We are not only interested in the quality of what you show, but also in the quality of how you show it.
- Please be sure to include your name on the portfolio and on all items.
- You can consult references on portfolio design. As an example, Portfolio Design, Fourth Edition by Harold Linton (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2012, ISBN 0-393-732533) contains much information and many examples of portfolio design. At NC State, this book available at the College of Design Library and the University Career Center. This book or others like it should be available at design and university libraries around the country.
- Portfolios for applicants with previous architectural degrees are considered as demonstrations in the ability to design architectural projects. Other pertinent 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional work of artistic, design, or technical interest may be included as supplementary to this desired purpose.
Submission of Application
Mail all items to:
Bachelor of Architecture Program
School of Architecture
NC State University
College of Design
Box 7701, 225 Brooks Hall
Raleigh, NC 27695-7701
Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a space-available basis.