Master of Graphic & Experience Design Admissions
Complete the graduate student interest form and a member of our team will be back in touch.
- January 15: Priority application deadline for domestic and international students (fall admission). However, prospective students can apply after the priority deadline. Applications will be considered until seats are filled.
- March 1-31: Notification to priority application students regarding admission status (applicants check status through the online system)
- June: Pre-registration of incoming graduate students for fall courses
- August: New College of Design graduate student orientation
- Mid-August: First day of fall classes
Be sure to use the online system to apply. You will need the following:
- Personal statement of career objectives, prior experience, intention of graduate study, and their relevance to the Master of Graphic & Experience Design program.
- Resume: include under “PDF Documents” in the online system
- Portfolio of work: 5 visual examples for initial application review.
- A portfolio website that represents the range and depth of visual work beyond the initial 5 review examples.
- Label each project as professional, student, or self-generated work.
- List the year that the work was created, and briefly describe the project.
- Provide the URL link in the resumé.
- Uploaded unofficial transcripts for each institution attended (official transcripts will be required if admitted).
- We require a minimum 3.0 GPA from most recent undergraduate degree at the college level.
- Three uploaded letters of recommendation from people who know your academic record
- A fee of $75 for US applicants ($85 for international applicants) due at the time of application.
Additional materials for international applicants:
- For international applicants whose first language is not English: TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 100, IELTS 7
- TOEFL institution code for NC State is 5496
- International students who have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study at a four-year US college or university do not have to submit TOEFL and/or IELTS scores.
- Residency statement for US citizens only (more info)
Additional Materials for applicants who do not hold an undergraduate degree in Graphic & Experience Design (or a similar visual communication discipline):
- GRE scores: the program considers the GRE score in relation to all other submitted application information; therefore, there is no threshold score.
- GRE institution code for NC State is 5496
- Note: GRE may be waived dependent of GPA.