Master of Graphic & Experience Design Admissions
Complete the graduate student interest form and a member of our team will be back in touch.
- January 15: Priority application deadline for domestic and international students (fall admission).
- March 1: Regular application deadline for domestic and international students (fall admission)
- Prospective students can apply after these deadlines, although open seats are not guaranteed. Applications will be considered until seats are filled. The application portal will be closed once all seats are filled.
- March 31: Notification to students regarding admission status (applicants check status through the online system)
- June: Pre-registration of incoming graduate students for fall courses
- August: New College of Design graduate student orientation
- Mid-August: First day of fall classes
Be sure to use the online system to apply. You will need the following:
- Personal statement of career objectives, prior experience, intention of graduate study, and their relevance to the Master of Graphic & Experience Design program.
- Resume: include under “PDF Documents” in the online system
- Portfolio of work: 5 visual examples for initial application review.
- A portfolio website that represents the range and depth of visual work beyond the initial 5 review examples.
- Label each project as professional, student, or self-generated work.
- List the year that the work was created, and briefly describe the project.
- Provide the URL link in the resumé.
- Uploaded unofficial transcripts for each institution attended (official transcripts will be required if admitted).
- We require a minimum 3.0 GPA from most recent undergraduate degree at the college level.
- Three uploaded letters of recommendation from people who know your academic record
- A fee of $75 for US applicants ($85 for international applicants) due at the time of application.
Additional materials for international applicants:
- For international applicants whose first language is not English: TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 100, IELTS 7
- TOEFL institution code for NC State is 5496
- International students who have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study at a four-year US college or university do not have to submit TOEFL and/or IELTS scores.
- Residency statement for US citizens only (more info)
Additional Materials for applicants who do not hold an undergraduate degree in Graphic & Experience Design (or a similar visual communication discipline):
- GRE scores: the program considers the GRE score in relation to all other submitted application information; therefore, there is no threshold score.
- GRE institution code for NC State is 5496
- Note: GRE may be waived dependent of GPA.