DDes Immersion Week 2020
August 14, 2020 – Pecha Kucha Talks
Our new cohort of students gave an introduction to their research ambitions through a Pecha Kucha-style talk from 3 pm to 5 pm. Each student presented a series of 20 slides, focusing on each slide for 20 seconds each.
Learn more and engage with the new members of our cohort in six and a half minutes. These talks will be recorded and available in the future.
August 20, 2020 – Digital Poster Session/Progress Reports
Virtual Poster Sessions/ Progress Reports were presented by our returning two cohorts and took place in three groups on Thursday August 20, 2020, from 1 pm to 4 pm. The poster sessions were divided into three categories, and each student was allowed up to seven minutes for their presentation with roughly 10 minutes for audience feedback and conversation.
August 21, 2020 – 3rd Annual DDes Symposium on Design Research
The annual DDes Symposium took place from 9:00 am – 1:45 pm and featured several panel discussions centered around our two key topics: Design in Health Education and Health in Design Practice. Ellen Lupton, Senior Curator of Contemporary Design at Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum in New York City, and the founding director of the Graphic Design M.F.A. degree program at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA), was the lunch keynote. There were also sessions addressing design thinking tools and policy implications for health in design.
3rd Annual DDes Symposium on Design Research
- 9:00 – 9:15 am: Welcome from M. Elen Deming, director of the DDes Program and Traci Rose Rider, assistant professor of architecture in the College of Design at NC State University.
- 9:15 – 10:15 am: Panel 1 – Design Thinking in Health
- The morning will start with moderated Panel #1 “Design Thinking in Health”. Dr. Matt Trowbridge, Dr. Bon Ku, and Jacqui McLaughlin will talk for about 10-12 minutes each followed by Q&A.
- Moderator: Tsailu Liu, Department Head of Graphic Design and Industrial Design, NC State College of Design
- 10:15 – 10:45 am: Breakout Sessions with Dr. Lesley-Ann Noel to review a set of cards she’s developed to address critical thinking in design.
- 10:45 – 11:15 am: Break
- 11:15 – 12:00 pm: Keynote Presentation
- Design for Everybody: Creative Ideas for Wellness and Inclusion by Ellen Lupton
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm: Panel 2: Thinking Health in Design
- Panel #2 is a flip of the first panel along the lines of “Thinking Health in Design,” or how we should be thinking about health in the design fields. Michael Grove, Jessica Bellamy, and Myron Floyd will talk for about 10-12 minutes each followed by Q&A.
- Moderator: David Hill, School of Architecture Head, NC State College of Design
- 1:00 – 1:30 pm: Breakout Session with Lauren Westmoreland
- 1:30 – 1:45 pm: Closing Remarks from Sharon Joines, associate dean of academic strategy and professor of industrial design in the College of Design at NC State University
Watch recordings of the two panel sessions and Ellen Lupton’s keynote address below.
Panel 1: Design Thinking in Health
Keynote: Design for Everybody, Ellen Lupton
Panel 2: Thinking Health in Design
Panelists and Speakers
Past Immersion Weeks
View speaker information, agendas and past recordings of immersion weeks: