Patrick Rand, FAIA, DPACSA
Patrick Rand, FAIA, DPACSA
Distinguished Professor of ArchitectureEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (919) 515-8319
- Master of Architecture, University of Oregon
- Bachelor of Architecture, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Patrick Rand is a Distinguished Professor of Architecture at in the College of Design at NC State University. He teaches Architectural design studios, thesis preparation seminar, architectural construction systems, and seminars regarding architectural detailing and innovative materials. His focus is on the relationship between design and building technologies. He joined the architecture faculty in 1977, and has since taught full time without interruption. He has been nurtured by a supportive and challenging setting, surrounded by some of the finest design educators in the country, and remarkable students who bring intelligence and ambition to every project that they engage.
Rand’s early research involved air-supported structures and other experimental construction strategies. He has since carried out funded research regarding innovation in masonry construction systems that has attracted national recognition. His expertise now spans a full range of architectural construction materials and systems. He maintains a small architectural practice and consults with other architectural firms. Patrick Rand co-authored Materials For Design with Victoria Ballard Bell in 2006, and a second volume with all new content in 2014. Patrick also co-authored with Edward Allen Architectural Detailing: Function, Constructibility, Aesthetics in 2007. He completed a substantially revised third edition of this book in 2016. He co-authored with Edward Allen and Thomas Ryan Detailing for Landscape Architects in 2011. His books have been critically acclaimed and have been published internationally in English, French and Korean.
Patrick Rand earned his Bachelor of Architecture degree from the Virginia Tech, and his Master of Architecture from the University of Oregon. He is active in the American Institute of Architects and in The Masonry Society. He was elected to the College of Fellows of the AIA in 2007, and received the ACSA Distinguished Professor Award in 2014.
- Materials For Design by Victoria Ballard Bell and Patrick Rand, 2006
Architectural Record Book Review, August 2007
- Architectural Detailing: Function, Constructibility, Aesthetics by Edward Allen and Patrick Rand, 2nd Edition, 2007
- Detailing for Landscape Architects by Tom Ryan, Edward Allen and Patrick Rand, 2011
- Materials for Design 2 by Victoria Ballard Bell and Patrick Rand, 2014
- Architectural Detailing: Function Constructibility, Aesthetics by Edward Allen and Patrick Rand, 3rd Edition, 2016