History of the College
See a few pivotal moments from the College of Design’s 75-year history.
The Landscape Architecture program begins.
The first Landscape Architecture program in the South to apply for accreditation, but failed.
The Architecture Library opened as the first branch library.
Division of Architecture and Landscape Design established.
Landscape Architecture program removed from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and Architecture program from the College of Engineering to create new division.
Mrs. Harrye Black Lyons serves as the first design librarian from 1947 to 1968. The Design Library inhabits the space that was the original reading room of D. H. Hill Jr. Library. The library was renamed the Harrye B. Lyons design library shortly after her death in 1968 by Dean Kamphoefner.
Matthew Nowicki serves as the acting architecture department head.
Landscape Architecture department is initiated, with Edwin G. Thurlow as the department head. The Bachelor in Landscape Architecture is inaugurated as the first five-year undergraduate landscape architecture program in the country.
Matthew Nowicki joins the faculty as the acting architecture department head until his death in 1950.
Duncan Stuart joins the faculty until 1991.
George Matsumoto joins the faculty until 1961.
James W. Fitzgibbon joins the faculty until 1953.
Edward W. Waugh joins the faculty on/off until 1961.
The Visiting Lecture Program begins.
Richard Bell wins the 1951 Rome Prize in Landscape Architecture.
R. Buckminster Fuller is a guest lecturer at the School of Design until 1955. He worked with students to design uses of the geodesic dome for a cotton mill, military installations and the Ford Motor Company. He received an honorary Doctor of Design degree from NC State in 1954. In 1983 he is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award.
The Department of Architecture receives accreditation.
School graduates the first class with a Bachelor’s in Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
Matthew Nowicki tragically dies in a plane crash.
The Department of Design receives accreditation.
The first issue of The Student Publication of the School of Design was published as a tribute to Matthew Nowicki.
Eduardo Catalano is named head of the architecture department.
The Landscape Architecture program is accredited.
George E. Patton wins the 1949 Rome Prize in Landscape Architecture.
Edward Shirley wins the 40th Paris Prize in Architecture.
Classes move from the “barracks” to Brooks Hall. The dedication of Brooks Hall takes place, with Pier Luigi Nervi as the keynote speaker.
Robert Burns wins the 44th Paris Prize in Architecture. Edwin F. Harris is the 1st alternate for the 44th Paris Prize in Architecture.
Austin Baer was appointed full professor and head of the newly created Department of Product Design. Clark Macomber and William J. Baron were appointed full-time faculty. Dr. John Hertzman joins the faculty during Professor Baer’s tenure.
Dr. Hertzman designs and builds metal, wood and fiberglass benches and tables for the School of Design.
William Warren Edwards (Landscape Architecture) wins the 1958 Dumbarton Oaks Fellowship.
Ediwn F. Harris wins the 45th Paris Prize in Architecture.
George Nelson and Charles Eames are visiting lecturers.
W. Taft Bradshaw (Landscape Architecture) wins the 1959 Dumbarton Oaks Fellowship.
E. Wayne Taylor wins the Rome Prize in Architecture.
Lloyd G. Walter wins the 47th Paris Prize in Architecture.
Richard Saul Wurman serves on the faculty until 1962. Wurman is an American architect and graphic designer and creator of TEDTalks.
Richard A. Moore appointed Landscape Architecture department head.
Victor Papanek succeeds Professor Baer as department head of product design. Papanek is the author of Design for the Real World (1971), a go-to reference in the discourse on designing for the pluriverse.
First class graduates with BS degrees in Product Design.
Dr. Walter Baermann appointed head of the Department of Product Design, succeeding Victor Papanek. Armand Cooke, Vincent Foote, and Harry Mackie were appointed to the faculty in product design.
Alcoa sponsors the first Student Design Competition.
Don Masterton appointed as the new head of the Department of Product Design.
2nd Alcoa Student Competition held.
Dow Chemical Corporation gives the Department 3 railroad boxcar loads of styrofoam logs for student projects.
The first Visual Design studio is taught. The first project was a poster for the School of Design Student Publication art auction, with Gerald L. Eckstein creating the winning design.
Robert Burns is appointed Achitecture department head.
Lewis Clarke is appointed acting department head for Landscape Architecture.
M. Sally Schauman is the first woman to graduate from Landscape Architecture.
Helen Zschau is the newly appointed design librarian.
Kenneth Moffett wins the 55th Lloyd Warren Fellowship Paris Prize in Architecture.
The Master in Landscape Architecture program is initiated and approved by the university. The BLA is replaced with a 4-year Bachelor in Environmental Design in Landscape Architecture degree.
Richard R. Wilkinson is appointed the department head of Landscape Architecture.
Product Design goes to 2-2-2 academic program. The Bachelor of Environmental Design in Product Design is approved.
Department of Architecture establishes the Urban Design Program as a joint academic program with the Department of City and Regional Planning at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
1969 Henry Sanoff co-founds the Environmental Design Research Association in 1968, with the first meeting held in 1969. Sanoff served as faculty from 1968 until 2006.
The School takes over space in Leazar Hall for basic design studios.
The 4+2 Master of Architecture degree is approved.
The Master of Urban Design degree is approved.
Graduate programs established in each of the three departments in the school.
Arthur J. Clement, the First African American to graduate from the School of Design, graduates with a Bachelor of Architecture. He is a retired First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. Over the past twenty years, Art has completed numerous campus heritage studies. Mr. Clement currently serves on the advisory committee for the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s HBCU Cultural Heritage Stewardship Initiative. He also served on the board of trustees for the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation.
Deanne Bell (Beckwith) is the first woman to receive a degree in Product Design.
In May of 1971, the first degrees in Bachelor of Environmental Design in Architecture and Bachelor of Environmental Design in Landscape Architecture are offered. Students graduating in May of 1971 were able to graduate with these degrees from a program that had been developing over the past three years.
The first Master of Architecture degrees are awarded to Gary Coates, Richard McCommons, and Theresa Rosenberg.
The Bachelor of Architecture is phased out.
The Master of Landscape Architecture program is accredited by the ASLA.
Vincent Foote serves as interim head of the Department. Minors in Visual Design, Furniture Design.
Textile Design was inaugurated for undergraduate Product Design majors.
Richard Curtis graduates from the college with a Bachelor of Product Design. He would go to become one of three founders of USA Today and serve on the NC State Board of Trustees. He is known for infographics — especially the weather map — that established newspaper graphics worldwide. He also worked with technology companies in developing the “electronic darkroom” that made it possible to send photographs from around the world for the production of a daily newspaper.
Henry Kamphoefner retires as Dean of the School of Design.
Deanne Bell hired to establish the Textile Design Program.
Armco Steel Corporation sponsors student design program.
Department head titles change to “Program Director.”
Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) approves Department.
Austin Lowrey hired to establish Visual Design Program as a separate undergraduate curriculum within the Department of Product Design.
Henry Sanoff receives the Progressive Architecture Design Awards Program in 1974, 1978 and 1983.
A 3-person committee serves as interim administration of the Architecture department.
John Loss is appointed program director for Architecture.
Arthur L. Sullivan is appointed as program director of Landscape Architecture
The Zinc Institute sponsors a second industrial design program.
Linda Sanders serves as the interim program director of Architecture.
The School of Design Addition is completed in 1978. In 1991, the building is renamed Kamphoefner Hall after the founding dean of the college.
Martin Harms is appointed the Architecture program director.
Department of Product Design becomes the Department of Product and Visual Design.
Austin Lowrey is hired to establish the visual design program as a separate undergraduate curriculum within the Product Design department. Studio and core courses in graphic design are established.
The Bachelor of Architecture program is re-established.
Robert Burns is appointed the Architecture program director.
“Department Head” title was restored, following the change to “Program Director” in 1973.
Robert Burns is appointed as the Associate Dean and Architecture department head.
Wolfgang Weingart makes the first of several visits to the school.
Master of Urban Design discontinued.
Harwell Hamilton Harris receives an honorary doctorate of fine arts from NC State University.
Graphic Design faculty and alumni establish the Raleigh chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts – the eighth chapter of the organization. Since its founding, AIGA has grown to 72 chapters, nationally.
Haig Khachatoorian appointed Department Head of Product Design.
Harwell Hamilton Harris is named an ACSA distinguished professor.
Deborah W. Dalton is appointed acting department head of Landscape Architecture.
Visual Design program is profiled in the Novum magazine series on graphic design education.
The Product Innovation Lab (PIL) was originally co-founded by Professor Haig Khachatoorian (Design), Dr. Mitzi Montoya-Weiss (Management), and Dr. Clare Maday (Engineering) in 1987, and was active until 2016. This was a graduate-level project course conducted with student teams comprising Industrial Design (ID), Marketing (MBA) and Mechanical Engineering (ME) disciplines. The course ran over 20+ years and served the sponsors…citizens of North Carolina, as well as Fortune 500 / 100 level sponsor companies.
Caroline Carlton is the newly appointed design librarian.
The School of Design hosts the Graphic Design Education Association (GDEA) national conference.
The Center for Universal Design (CUD) at the School of Design is established by Ronald Mace under a grant from the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research in 1989. Although the CUD halted operations in 2008 due to financial challenges, its legacy and philosophy continue across ten design research labs at the college.
Arthur R. Rice is appointed as Landscape Architecture department head.
Student work is profiled in ID Magazine article on graphic design education.
The Department of Product and Visual Design splits into two separate departments with new names: Industrial Design and Graphic Design. Previously, the degrees both fell under Product Design, and with this split, each program maintained a separate degree title. Visual Design Program Coordinator Meredith Davis becomes head of the Department of Graphic Design, and Haig Katchatoorian remains department head of Industrial Design.
Paul Tesar is appointed as the Architecture department head.
Meredith Davis becomes the head of the Department of Graphic Design. She serves in the position until 1997. Davis is the author of Design as a Catalyst for Learning (1997), Design in Context: Graphic Design Theory (2012), Teaching Design (2017), Introduction to Visual Communication Design (2017) and The Future of Design Education (expected June 2023).
Christos Saccopoulos is appointed the Architecture department head.
Robert Stipe received the Sigma Pi Kappa International Honor Society of Historic Preservation’s first Award for Scholarship and Leadership.
The School of Design hosts the Graphic Design Education Association (GDEA) national conference.
The College of Design hosts the 1992 Summit on K-12 Design Education, funded by the Worldesign Foundation and the three Kenan Institutes. Meredith Davis chairs the conference, which involves high-level k-12 administrators from five states.
The Architecture department hosts the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA) Southeast regional meeting.
The Alpha Sigma Chapter of the landscape architectural honor society Sigma Lambda Alpha is established.
The Coalition for Community Conservation is established as a joint venture between the Department of Landscape Architecture and the Conservation Trust of North Carolina.
The Department of Art and Design and the Department of Industrial Design combine to form the Department of Design and Technology. Glenn Lewis serves as Department Head.
A new graduate curriculum in graphic design is developed. Five graphic design graduate students win awards in Aldus flashpoint competition.
Graphic design graduate student work is profiled in Emigre magazine.
Percy Hooper appointed as the Interim Head of Department of Design & Technology.
Robert Burns becomes an ASCA distinguished professor.
A new imaging course sequence is inaugurated in the undergraduate graphic design program.
Anne Burdick guest edits two issues of Emigre magazine.
The AIGA journal of graphic design profiles final project work by Brad Brechin (MGD).
School of Design promotional materials, designed by graduate students, are accepted into the American Center for Design 100 show.
Andrew Blauvelt receives the national GDEA educator award.
Robert Burns is the Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal Recipient.
Jay Tomlinson Appointed Visiting Landscape Architecture Research Assistant and Design Research Center Director
Jay Tomlinson is appointed as a visiting research assistant professor of Landscape Architecture and director of the School of Design, Design Research Center.
Meredith Davis designs an identity program for NC State University.
Student work in the new imaging sequence of graphic design is profiled in Print magazine.
Fatih Rifki is appointed the Architecture department head.
The School of Design hosts the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Education Summit.
The Department of Landscape Architecture co-hosts The Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA) Annual Conference in Asheville, NC.
The graduate program in product design is featured at the American Center for Design’s “Making History” conference.
NC State awards the first AIGA Medallion of Design Excellence to Michael Faoro (BGD).
Roy Brooks (BGD) wins first place in the American Center for Design national scholarship.
Alicia Chastain (BGD) designs Reflections and Actions, written by Robert Burns.
The NC State School of Design marks its 50th anniversary.
Andrew Blauvelt becomes the head of the department of Graphic Design and serves in the position for one year. He wins the AIGA medal in 2022.
Henry Sanoff receives the Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal of Excellence, the highest faculty award at NC State.
Department of Design and Technology reverts to the Department of Industrial Design and the Department of Art + Design.
Haig Khachatoorian appointed Head of Industrial Design.
The School of Design hosts a joint meeting of the European Association of Architecture Educators and the Architecture Research Centers Consortium.
Joani Spadaro Serves as Department Head of Graphic Design for one year from 1998-1999.
Meredith Davis serves as the department head of Graphic Design from 1999-2002 while a national search is conducted.
The Ph.D. in Design program admits its first student cohort.
Martha Scotford publishes Cipe Pineles: A Life of Design, one of the first monographs on an American woman graphic designer. Martha is one of the earliest graphic design historians in a field that hadn’t published a comprehensive history until 1983.
The Bachelor of Graphic Design and Master of Graphic Design programs are first accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, one of only a few single program accreditations by NASAD. Meredith Davis did significant work to contribute to the program’s successful accreditation.
Bryan Laffitte appointed Industrial Design Department Head.
Denise Gonzales Crisp joins the faculty and becomes department head of Graphic Design after a national search. She serves in the position until 2006. She remains on the faculty until 2022.
Master of Art + Design program is established.
Henry Sanoff writes Three Decades of Design and Community in 2003. The book presents analytical descriptions of the work of many graduates of CDG program/NCSU under Henry Sanoff’s guidance, and sets an example of how service learning and outreach and programs can benefit the surrounding communities, and can be incorporated into studio pedagogy.
Santiago Piedrafita Becomes Head of the Graphic Design Department. When the Graphic Design and Industrial Design departments merge in 2009, he becomes head of the new department.
School of Design: The Kamphoefner Years 1948-1973, Reflections and Recollections completed by Roger H. Clark from work begun by Robert Burns.
The Department of Industrial Design and the Department of Graphic Design combine into the Department of Graphic Design and Industrial Design.
Santiago Piedrafita appointed Head of the Department of Graphic Design and Industrial Design.
The College of Design launches its award-winning Design + Build programs in Architecture and Landscape Architecture, training students to adapt to every part of the design-make-design cycle.
Tsai Lu Liu joins the Industrial Design faculty and is appointed as Head of the Department of Graphic Design and Industrial Design
Sponsored Studios program reactivated.
IBM hires the entire MGD graduating class for the launch of its new design center in Austin, TX as part of the largest design transformation of an American corporation in fifty years.
The Department of Landscape Architecture changes its name to the Department of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning to reflect the growing focus on environmental planning processes, methods and practices. The department also expanded its curriculum to offer an interdisciplinary certificate program, the Graduate Certificate in Disaster Resilient Policy, Engineering and Design. The program aims to educate the next generation of practitioners and scholars to reduce the rise in disaster losses and assist communities to adapt to a changing climate.
The Graphic Design program is reclassified as a STEM discipline to reflect its content as a technological practice and ongoing collaboration with firms such as SAS, IBM, Red Hat, and Citrix.