Awards and Recognition
Our faculty, staff, and students are recognized nationally and internationally for their work. See some highlights from our 2020-2021 year.
Efforts continue to heighten student success by fostering student recognition through participation in national and international design competitions (awards), publishing articles, and disseminating work in exhibitions. Examples of awarded efforts include:
- Oluwarotimi Osiberu was awarded the Gensler Rising Black Designers scholarship ($20,000). This is a national level award that recognizes design excellence.
- Ryan Cooper won the AIA COTE Top 10 Award for his project in the Coastal Dynamics Studio. This is a national award given to 10 students each year. There were over 800 entries this year.
- Colin Gabbet and JD Bond won 2nd Place in the NC State SolarSpace Design Competition. Abigail Gillin, Nabila Bustillos-Francis, Hannah Smith, Isaac Mullen and Alex McMillan won Honorable Mentions.
- Six students won awards at the AIA Triangle Design Awards, with $11,500 of scholarships received collectively.
- Ryan Cooper, Sophia Li, and the summer Design + Build Studio won three out of the four AIA South Atlantic Region Student Design Awards.
- Sophia Li was named a Hanbury Summer Scholar and is participating in a fellowship program at the firm this year.
Art + Design:
- Renee Harris received a fellowship at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC.
- Kaylynn Crowder and RJ Washington were named finalists for their film submissions to the motion graphics conference, MODE Fest.
- Kaitlin Fritz, a 2018/19 Graduate, attended Royal College of London to develop an app titled Musemio. Her company was featured in Forbes Magazine and was named in their “Top 30 Under 30” segment.
- Kennedy Liggett, Rachel Thomas, and Joseph Rogers’ research and design project won the GDUSA Health+Wellness Design Award in 2021.
- Michael Zamojcin received national recognition by GDUSA as a Student to Watch in 2021.
- Annie McDonald won the 2020 IDSA Southern District Student Merit Award.
- Madalyn Baldwin was named an Olmsted Scholar Finalist (one of six in the country) by the Landscape Architecture Foundation.
- MLA graduate and PhD Student Dong-Jae Yi won the SolarSpace Design Competition.
- Three MLA student submissions were selected for national Honor Awards as part of the 2020 ASLA Professional and Student Awards. The projects are PeatLand by Madalyn Baldwin and Sound Design by Xinyu Li and Xinyi Liu.
Ph.D. in Design:
- Yanhua Lu presented at two national conferences, served as president of PhDSA, and gave a talk to the LED2LEAP seminar group.
- Renae Mantooth was awarded the Daniel M. Maxwell Dissertation of the Year Award, and co-authored two books, gave two presentations at EDRA, and served as a student representative for EDRA.
- Daniel Jost served on an award jury for the Virginia ASLA Awards and co-authored three papers for the Natural Learning Initiative.
- Saeed Ahmadi won an award for City of Raleigh’s GIS Day, presented at the GIS 2021 Virtual Conference and served as a reviewer for the 20201 EDRA Conference.
- Byeongmo Seo was the co-author of three conference proceedings and one journal article.
- Hany Gaballa was a co-author for a conference proceeding for EAAE-ARCC International Conference & 2nd VIBRArch.
- Rachael Paine presented at MODE Summit 2021.
- Pegah Mathur published a paper at the ARCC conference.
- Hossein Saedi gave four presentations at CELA Conference 2021, one presentation at EDRA Conference 52, and one presentation at NC Breathe 2021 Conference, served as a reviewer for CELA, EDRA, and USGBC Greenbuild 2021, and as chair of the International Students Advisory Council (ISAC).
- Raaga Bhandari presented a paper for the CUI ’20 / Contemporary Urban Issues Conference organized by DAKAM.
- Yeobeom Yoon co-authored two conference proceedings and co-authored two journal articles.
Doctor of Design:
- Anne Spafford was recognized with the NC State University Alumni Association’s Undergraduate Professor Award in April 2021.
- Anne Spafford published a co-authored book, co-authored a paper, and presented four lectures on sustainable gardens at symposia at Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia and the Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education.
- Liz McCormick was awarded the 2021 Course Development Prize in Architecture, Climate Change, and Society.
- In 2020, Steven Chavez co-founded the not-for-profit group National Association of Minority Landscape Architects (NAMLA).
- AJ Polanco is the first all-but-dissertation student in the DDes program; he completed his Doctoral Preliminary Examination (Nov 16, 2020).
- Lee Cherry, with advisor Todd Berreth (PI) and the Chancellor’s Visual Narrative Cluster, won a 2020 Non-Laboratory Scholarship/Research Program (NSRP) Grant from NC State, supporting conversational AI-enabled displays.
- Teresa Buckwalter and advisor Celen Pasalar were semi-finalists for the 2021 Deb Mitchell Research Grant award, LAF for a study based on Buckwalter’s dissertation building capacity to respond to climate change impacts in rural Appalachian communities.
- Juhann Waller was reappointed to the NC Infrastructure Authority; he presented a paper at the 2021 Mid-American Transportation Center conference.
- Based on his dissertation work, Justin Johnson co-authored a paper accepted for SIGGRAPH, the highest prestige conference in computational design and game industries.
Faculty Teaching Excellence
- Robin Moore (LAEP, NLI), Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal for Excellence – NC State’s highest honor for a faculty member.
- Kristen Schaffer (ARC), NC State Outstanding Teacher Award and NC State Academy of Outstanding Teachers.
- Carla Delcambre (LAEP), Outstanding Teacher Award for excellence in teaching at all levels, NC State University.
- Chandra Cox (ADN), nominated for Board of Governors Teaching Award 2021.
- J.Mark Scearce (ADN), nominated for 2020 Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award, NC State.
Faculty Research and Design Excellence
- Traci Rider (ARC) won the AIANC 2020 Gail Lindsey Sustainability Award.
- George Elvin (ARC) was awarded the NC State Scholarship of Research and Teaching Fellowship.
- Tom Barrie (ARC) was elevated to Fellow in the American Institute of Architects, named to the NC State Academy of Faculty Engaged in Extension, and won the Alumni Association Outstanding Extension and Outreach Award, NC State.
- Dana Gulling (ARC) won the 2021 Architecture Research Centers Consortium (ARCC) Book Award, and the Precast/ Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Professor of the Year Award 2020.
- Andy Fox (LAEP) and Travis Klondike (CDDL) received a national honor award as part of the 2020 ASLA Professional Awards for the Lumberton Community Floodprint.
- Kofi Boone (LAEP) was elevated to a fellow in the American Society of Landscape Architects.
- Derek Ham (ADN) was selected as the chair of the Immersive Pavilion for the 2022 SIGGRAPH conference.
- Marc Russo (ADN) was selected as a semi-finalist for the Flickers Rhode Island International Film Festival, as a semi-finalist in Animation for the Dumbo Film Festival selected for the LA Shorts International Film Festival and the Montreal International Animation Film Festival.