Coastal Dynamic Design Lab Wins Top Honor from NCASLA
Reposted from the NCASLA.
The North Carolina Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects (NCASLA) announced the winners of the annual, state-wide professional awards for landscape architecture projects in the categories of Research, Analysis & Planning, Communication, and General Design. Auggie Wong, the NCASLA Awards Chair announced that “we are proud of award-winning projects, which speak to ecological resiliency, cultural celebration, and equity in our communities. We are also extremely pleased with the quality of the projects submitted.”
One Award of Excellence was presented to the Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University for the Twin Creeks project in the Research Category. The project team said, “If programmed appropriately as a conservation development, this property will provide a wide range of transformative, quality-of-life experiences for the residents of Creedmoor and the general public of the greater Raleigh-Durham region.”
Additionally, four Honor Awards were presented to projects throughout the state or to firms within the state, including the Cherokee Cultural Corridor Master Plan in Cherokee, NC by IBI Group; Sycamore Creek in Hurt, VA by Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University; NC Coastal Planting Template in Coastal NC by Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University; and the BB&T Leadership Institute in Greensboro, NC by Surface 678.
IBI defined in their project summary that, “the Cherokee Cultural Corridor Master Plan (CCCMP) is a detailed analysis and intimate charrette with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians (EBCI) to plan and strategize the growth and development of Cherokee, NC (their tribal lands). This master planning exercise is unique in that an explicit focus was put on maintaining, strengthening, and promoting the culture, history, and community of the EBCI.”
2020 Professional Awards Winners
Research – Professional
- Award of Excellence: Twin Creeks in Creedmoor, NC | Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University
General Design – Professional
- Honor Award: BB&T Leadership Institute in Greensboro, NC | Surface 678
- Merit Award: Reconnect, Disconnect, and Protect: Duke University Student Health & Wellness Center |Stewart
- Merit Award: Chimney Rock State Park Trail Structure in Chimney Rock, NC | Stewart
- Merit Award: Global Flora Conservatory at the Margaret C. Ferguson Greenhouses in Wellesley, MA | Andropogon
Analysis & Planning – Professional
- Honor Award: Cherokee Cultural Corridor Master Plan in Cherokee, NC | IBI Group
- Honor Award: Sycamore Creek in Hurt, VA | Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University Merit Award
- Honor Award: Beech Bluff County Park Master Plan in Raleigh, NC | Surface 678
- Recognition Award: Restoration of the South Ellerbe Tributaries in Durham, NC | Surface 678
Communication – Professional
- Honor Award: NC Coastal Planting Template in Coastal NC | Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University
- Merit Award: A Watershed Improvement Study for Laurel Park in Laurel Park, NC | Roots First Design, LLC
This post was originally published in College of Design Blog.