External Recognition

Two Students Bring Home AIGA Worldstudio Scholarships

AIGA Worldstudio Scholarship Banner Image
Olivia Santangelo (left) and AJ Lawrence (right) were recently announced as AIGA Worldstudio Scholarship Award winners.

Two students from the College of Design have been awarded the prestigious AIGA Worldstudio Scholarship for their work focusing on social, environmental and cultural impact. First-year Graphic Design student Olivia Santangelo and Art + Design sophomore Ajane “AJ” Lawrence each won awards for their bodies of work in the fields of graphic design and illustration, respectively.

“I am extremely thankful to AIGA for recognizing my design work and supporting me through this award. Receiving the Worldstudio Scholarship has given me more confidence in pursuing my graphic design degree.” 

– Olivia Santangelo
“Oddly, Specifically & Perfectly You!” by Olivia Santangelo

The scholarships are awarded annually by AIGA to encourage social and environmental responsibility and cultural awareness in the next generation of artists and designers. Jurors selected 23 students to receive awards for the 2021/2022 academic year and increased the financial amounts for each category.

Due to the increased community support during the 2020 #AIGATogether campaign, AIGA was able to increase the number of individual scholarship awards for the 2021/2022 academic year, making a greater impact for each student.

This year, 209 applications were received and 23 were awarded—4 scholarships at $3,500 each, 8 scholarships at $3,000 each, 5 honorable mentions at $500 each, 2 chapter scholarships at $2,500 each, 2 chapter scholarships at $1,000 each, and 2 chapter honorable mentions at $500 for a grand total of $48,500. Each student also receives a certificate of achievement, and a one-year, complimentary Contributor-level membership.

“AIGA’s Worldstudio Scholarships are actively working toward the goal of increasing representation in the creative professions and helping to overcome financial barriers for students. These scholarships are an investment in the future of the design community, ensuring a more resilient and inclusive future for designers,” said AIGA’s Executive Director, Bennie F. Johnson. “This year we have been able to increase the number of scholarship awards thanks to the support of our design community and we are making a greater impact and building a more contemporary association for design for all.” 

"My self-portrait represents me when I am most comfortable - when I’m alone and doing something I enjoy like listening to music or drawing. So I drew myself in space, away from other people, zoned out in my bubble." - AJ Lawrence
“Safe Space” by AJ Lawrence

About the AIGA Worldstudio Scholarship

The AIGA Worldstudio Scholarships program increases diversity in the creative professions by providing an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students from underrepresented and economically disadvantaged backgrounds with positive social agendas to achieve their educational goals and give back to their communities through their work. Since its inception in 1995, over $1.3 million dollars has been awarded to more than 800 college students of art and design.