Andrew Fox, ASLA, PLA, Univ. Faculty Scholar
Andrew Fox, ASLA, PLA, Univ. Faculty Scholar
Associate Professor of Landscape Architecture, Co-Director Coastal Dynamics Design LabEmail: email@example.com Phone: (919) 513-8064
- Master of Landscape Architecture | Louisiana State University, 2001
- Bachelor of General Studies | University of Michigan, 1995
Andrew Fox is a professional landscape architect (PLA), Associate Professor of Landscape Architecture, and NC State University Faculty Scholar. Andrew is also the co-founder and co-director of the Coastal Dynamics Design Lab (CDDL), an interdisciplinary research and design initiative housed within the NC State College of Design that addresses critical ecological and community development challenges in coastal regions.
Andrew specializes in the development and management of high-performing public landscapes. His teaching, research, and engagement efforts include the design, development, and study of urban landscapes, naturalized educational environments, low impact development strategies, and construction detailing and implementation. These interests converge in the Landscape Architecture Design+Build Studio, an intensive, hands-on construction experience that Andrew teaches and directs. Since he founded the studio in 2010, Design+Build projects have received numerous awards and have been published in multiple venues, including the PBS program, Quest: The Science of Sustainability.
Andrew currently serves as a Park Faculty Scholar for the Class of 2018, and is an elected member of the NC State Community Engaged Faculty Fellows, NC State Academy of Outstanding Teachers, and NC State Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension. His recent research portfolio includes more than $500,000.00 in funded projects as either principal or co-principal Investigator. In total, Andrew’s teaching, research, engagement, and professional practice activities have been recognized with more than 35 honors and awards. Selected recognition includes, but is not limited to:
- Landscape Architecture Foundation Case Study Investigation Research Fellow
- NCASLA Planning & Analysis Award of Excellence (with CDDL)
- AIA Decade of Design Award (with David Hill, AIA)
- NC State University Alumni Association Outstanding Teaching Award
- NC State University Outstanding Teaching Award
- NC State College of Design Outstanding Teaching Award
- Opal Mann Green Engagement and Scholarship Award (NC State)
- NC State University Outstanding Extension Service Award
- NC State College of Design Outstanding Extension Service Award
- Earthwise Award for Outstanding Achievement in Environmental Sustainability on Campus (NC State)
- City of Raleigh Environmental Award for Institutional Innovation
- City of Raleigh Environmental Award for Natural Resource Conservation
- North Carolina Housing Officers Faculty Partnership and Academic Collaboration Award
- Hardscape North America Architectural Award for “Best-of-the-Best” Permeable Clay Brick Project (Residential/Commercial Category)
- NC State Department of Landscape Architecture Professor of the Year Award
Andrew holds degrees from Louisiana State University and the University of Michigan. At LSU, Fox received an Award for Outstanding Contributions through Teaching, a Design Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, an ASLA Merit Award for Excellence in the Study of Landscape Architecture, and was designated as a Clearing Scholar from The Clearing Landscape Institute, the folk school founded by renowned landscape architect Jens Jensen. Prior to arriving at NC State, Andrew served on the faculty of the University of Georgia School of Environmental Design.
- Fox, Andrew, Sadie Walters, and Peggy Huang. Landscape Performance Series Case Study Brief: Charlotte Brody Discovery Garden. Landscape Architecture Foundation, 2016.
- Fox, Andrew and Jim Cooper. “Suburban Street Stormwater Retrofitting: An Introduction to Improving Residential Rights-of-Way.” Landscape Architecture Magazine 105 (11): 208-211, October 2015.
- Cizek, Adrienne and Andrew Fox. “Stormwater nature pockets: A case for using green infrastructure to create engaging childhood spaces.” Journal of Green Building 10(3):14-27, August 2015.
- Fox, Andrew and Jim Cooper. Suburban Street Stormwater Retrofitting: An Introduction to Improving Residential Rights-of-Way. American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) Landscape Technical Information Series (LATIS), ISBN: 0195-5764.
- Fox, Andrew and David Hill. “Adaptive Infrastructures: Developing Multidisciplinary Courses to Design Resilient Coastal Communities.” Proceedings of the CELA Annual Convention (CD-ROM), Baltimore: MD, 2014.
- Fox, Andrew. “Grounds for Change: Maximizing the Potential of Campus Landscapes through Strategic Partnerships and Community Design.” The International Journal of the Constructed Environment 3, no. 2 (2013): 199-217.
- Fox, Andrew. Case Number 268: Syme Residence Hall Rain Garden. ASLA/US EPA Green Infrastructure & Stormwater Management Case Studies, 2011.
- Fox, Andrew. “Integrated Designs Enrich Public Landscapes.” Stormwater: The Journal for Surface Water Quality Professionals, 2008.
- Fox, Andrew. “From Endings Come Beginnings: Facilitating the transition from ending student to beginning practitioner.” Proceedings from the 24th National Conference on the Beginning Design Student. Georgia Institute of Technology: Atlanta, 2008.
- Sweet, Erik J. LARE Review Section D Practice Problems: Design and Construction Documentation, 2nd Ed. Professional Publications, Inc.: Belmont, CA, 2006. (Andrew was responsible for developing practice problems related to low impact development and sustainable design & construction materials/methods.)