Olmsted Fellow Internship Program
The Olmsted Fellow Internship Program is a prestigious opportunity for selected undergraduate and graduate students in a wide variety of academic fields to gain valuable, on-site experience at one of
America’s leading public gardens. The experiences may entail responsibilities in research, economic development, design, horticulture, conservation, public relations, marketing, environmental stewardship and sustainability, and other facets of the Arboretum’s mission areas. Selected through a review process that incorporates such criteria as academic performance, demonstrated ability to achieve goals, leadership potential, and sound character, Olmsted Fellows are capable of developing and utilizing advanced skill sets that result in personal and professional growth potential, as well as contribute value to Arboretum priorities and service.
Position Description: Digital Media Marketing Intern
This position reports to the President of Bent Creek Institute.
The intern will work to improve the online presence of Bent Creek Institute, a non-profit research and economic development organizational affiliate of The NC Arboretum and will do the same for
Bent Creek’s US Botanical Safety Laboratory (botanical testing lab initiative) and TNCA Germplasm Repository laboratory.
- Post regular (daily/weekly) updates to social media sites (facebook, twitter, blog.)
- Update websites as needed both textually and with images and/or videos.
- Improve upon the organization’s search engine optimization.
- Create a YouTube profile and post up at least 6 separate promotional videos on YouTube that will include interviews with staff, clients, partners…
- Advise and assist in creation of printed marketing pieces.
- Carry out market research as needed.
- Carry out botanical ingredient research as needed.
- Assist in report writing and data compilation as needed.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned in a timely manner.
- Assist in cleaning and maintenance of BCI/USBSL areas as needed.
- Completion of two or more years of education in marketing or a relevant field at a college, university, or community college.
- Must be currently enrolled or a recent graduate (graduating less than 12 months before the position term start date).
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Required previous experience in digital media planning and design..
- Experience in wordpress, joomla, or drupal.
- Plant science literacy — botany, ecology, biology, etc.
- Personal passion for healthy lifestyle.
- Database experience preferred (FileMaker, Access, etc.)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Use of own laptop.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Excellent physical health and stamina.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs occasionally, up to 30 lbs frequently, and up to 10 lbs constantly.
- Visual acuity sufficient to operate machines and motor vehicles and to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned.
- Ability to work in all types of weather conditions, including heat, humidity, and rain.
A competitive process will be applied to intern selection through submitted application and interview.
Hours: 25 hours per week, schedule varies during normal business hours: Monday-Friday between 8:30am – 5pm.
Pay: $9.00 per hour. Internship credit is available subject to approval by your educational institution.
Duration of Assignment: January 6 – June 20, 2014. Attendance mandatory.
Location: The work site is located at The North Carolina Arboretum, Asheville, NC. Intern must provide own housing and transportation.
To Apply: The application package will consist of a NC State application (available at www.ncarboretum.org), resume, cover letter, official transcript, and two letters of recommendation.
All application materials and reference letters should be mailed or delivered to:
Olmsted Fellow Intern Coordinator
The North Carolina Arboretum
100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way
Asheville, North Carolina 28806-9315
APPLICATIONS DUE JANUARY 20, 2014.